Autopsy report released in death of Cape Coral boy
left in car
An autopsy report released today confirms that the young boy left in a hot car in Cape Coral in July died from hyperthermia and that the death was an accident.
Marquel Clark, 14 months old, had a temperature of 108 degrees when he was admitted to the hospital, according to the report.
Other evidence of prolonged heat exposure noted by the report includes blistering of the head and neck.
The boy’s parents, Michael Clark, 26, and Kathleen Tashontae Jennings, 23, were charged by the state last month with one count each of leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle causing great bodily harm.
The charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.
The incident happened on July 31 when, according to family, the parents each thought the other had taken the boy from the car.
A neighbor called 911 as the parents drove the boy to Cape Coral Hospital.