Warner Robins boy left in car died of heat stroke, autopsy shows

By BECKY PURSER - bpurser@macon.com

WARNER ROBINS -- A 3-year-old boy who was left in a car died of heat stroke, according to a police news release.

The child, Andrew Leighlan Calloway of Warner Robins, was left in a parked car Sunday at 100 Georgetown Blvd. and pronounced dead after he was taken to Houston Medical Center, according Warner Robins police.

Andrew Leighlan CallowayThe toddler was in the vehicle with Shelia Henderson, 50, along with her sister, Johnnie Mae Grayer, 66, of Macon, and other children, according to police.

Upon arriving at Henderson's residence, the occupants exited the vehicle. Henderson later realized Calloway was not inside her house and went outside to find him unconscious in the car, a police news release states. Henderson called 911.

A police incident report stated the car was locked and police were dispatched at 5:31 p.m. Calloway was in the car for one hour, said Tabitha Pugh, public information officer for Warner Robins police. The high Sunday reached 99 degrees in Warner Robins, according to accuweather.com.

Calloway's father, Andrew Calloway, 26, of Warner Robins, said Henderson operates Sister-n-Sister Family Home Day Care at the residence. Calloway said his son was in the care of the day care center at the time of his death.

Calloway said he arrived at the day care about 6:30 p.m. after work to pick up his son to find the home roped off by yellow crime scene tape.

Police told him his son was left in a car, lost consciousness and was taken to the hospital, Calloway said. The boy never regained consciousness, his father said.

“There was no excuse for my son being left in a locked car,” Calloway said.

Sister-n-Sister Family Home Day Care is not licensed as a day care with the state, said Stacey Moore, public relations director for the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning, which is the state’s licensing agency. It does have a city business license, Pugh said.

Henderson could not be reached immediately for comment Monday.

A 1998 Chrysler Concorde belonging Grayer was impounded by Warner Robins police, according to the incident report. Grayer could not be reached immediately for comment Monday.

For more on this story, come back to macon.com and read Tuesday’s Telegraph.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/01/1651322/boy-left-in-car-was-at-a-warner.html#ixzz1TobMcbVh