Rapides Parish toddler dies after being trapped in car
Associated Press • June 23, 2010

HINESTON — The Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office says a 2-year-old boy has died of heat exhaustion after being trapped inside a car.

According to Chief Deputy Herman Walters, the child was playing outside with other children about 4 p.m. Monday when he apparently got into a car and couldn't get out. When the other children couldn't find the toddler and told the mother, she began to search for him and ultimately found him in the vehicle unconscious.

Temperatures on Monday in the area were in the high 90s.

Walters says paramedics called to the scene tried to resuscitate the baby but couldn't. He was then airlifted to Rapides Regional Hospital, where he later died.

His name has not been released.

Toddler found in car in Hineston dies at hospital
Town Talk staff • June 23, 2010

2-year-old child whose mother thought he was outside of a Hineston home playing was found unconscious and foaming at the mouth in a vehicle Monday afternoon.

Rapides Parish sheriff’s investigators are looking into the incident that left Hunter Jack Iles dead.

Sheriff’s officials said Hunter’s mother, Misty Iles, told investigators that she and her sister were at her Tolbert Loop Road home in Hineston on Monday afternoon getting ready for a garage sale. She said she and her sister were inside while the children played outside in the back yard.

Iles said the children were outside for about an hour when her sister checked on the children. The sister discovered that Hunter was missing.

The two women began searching the property for the boy. The sister passed by the car and discovered Hunter in the front passenger seat, unconscious and foaming at the mouth.

The sister said she immediately grabbed Hunter and put him in the pool to try to cool him off while Iles called 911. Temperatures outside were in the 90s.

The boy was discovered in the car, which was not running, around 3:50 p.m.

The Oak Hill Fire Department responded and performed CPR on the boy until Acadian Ambulance arrived. The boy was taken by helicopter ambulance to Rapides Regional Medical Center in Alexandria.

The incident remains under investigation. No one has been arrested nor have any charges been filed in connection with the incident.