Police: 3-month-old found dead in car near Indy

GREENFIELD -- A 3-month-old baby girl was found dead in a car in a Greenfield neighborhood Saturday on a day when the temperature hit a record 105 degrees in nearby Indianapolis.

Greenfield Police Chief John Jester says the baby's death is still under investigation, but says it appears she had been left in the car for "an extended period of time." He says police were called to the scene about 3:35 p.m. He says the baby was brought to Hancock Regional Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

He says police are still taking statements from those involved. He said he could not provide any further information immediately because of the ongoing investigation.

Jester says the child's name was being withheld because there were still some family members who had not been notified.

Greenfield dad pleads not guilty in baby's death in hot car

The father of a baby who died in a hot car in Greenfield pleaded not guilty this morning to child neglect charges.

Joshua T. Stryzinski, 18, Greenfield, made the plea in Hancock Circuit Court. He is accused of leaving his 4-month-old daughter inside a hot car "for an extended period of time" in a Greenfield neighborhood Saturday afternoon, according to Greenfield Police Chief John Jester.

The child was found in the car about 3:35 p.m. Saturday and later pronounced dead at Hancock Regional Hospital.

Stryzinski remained in custody today at the Hancock County Jail with a cash bond set at $50,000, a court official said.

Several neighbors of the baby’s grandparents expressed shock that a baby had been left to die in a hot car right in their own neighborhood, a collection of modest homes just north of Hancock Regional Hospital.

“I can’t stop thinking about it,” said Cherie Sirosky, 39, who lives with her family next-door to Ronald and Angie Stryzinski. “It’s devastating. This is a good family that has lost a child they loved.”

She said she has not seen or spoken to her next-door neighbors since Saturday’s tragic event.

“I want to go give them hugs and let them know we’re praying for them,” Sirosky said. “I know everyone keeps asking, ‘How could Joshua have forgotten the baby was in the car?’ But he’s an 18-year-old- boy. Yes, it was irresponsible, and yes, he made a terrible mistake, but he’s also going to live with this for the rest of his life. It’s so easy to judge from a distance.”

Court documents identified the mother as 17-year-old Taylor Jump.

Another neighbor, Jane White, 72, admitted to past feuds with the older Stryzinskis but said those disagreements pertained to difference “between good people” over “how yards ought to be maintained.” Her neighbors, she said, often tinkered with cars, motorcycles and other machinery, and she had complained about non-running vehicles kept at the property. Now, White said she aches for the family.

“I’ve just never been so sad,” White said. “I knew Joshua when he was little. He was the most polite, respectful boy. When this happened, I was absolutely shocked, and I know he could never have done that on purpose, ever. I’m just heartsick.”

Another neighbor shared White’s perception of the baby’s father, calling him “a good kid.”

“He was always working on a car or something in his parents’ yard,” said Rusty Schaekel, 41. “I never really sat down and talked with him, but I sold him a trampoline and a welder. We'd wave when we'd pass one another in the car. I just really feel sorry for all of them. I can’t imagine going out and finding your granddaughter like that.”

Another metro Indianapolis parent also faces criminal charges for leaving her baby in a car over the hot weekend.

A 16-month-old girl who was left in a car during near-record 105-degree heat was released from Peyton Manning Children's Hospital on Sunday

On Saturday, Fishers police responded to a call and found the girl locked inside a Ford Explorer SUV in the middle of the afternoon at a store parking lot. They had to break a side window to rescue her, and officers said the temperature inside the vehicle was 124 degrees. The girl began having seizures after being taken inside an air-conditioned building, Fishers police said.

The girl's 30-year-old mother, Meg Trueblood, of Fishers, was arrested on a preliminary charge of neglect and later released on bond, police said

Chloe S. Stryzinski,

4 months, of Greenfield, passed away on July 7, 2012, at Hancock Regional Hospital. Born on March 3, 2012, in Greenfield, she was the daughter of Joshua Stryzinski and Taylor Jump.

Chloe had little monkey ears, big blue eyes, and had the sweetest little giggle. She loved sweet potatoes as a snack in the evening and had a beautiful smile.

Surviving her are her parents; grandparents, Maria (Ronnie) Borgman, Joseph Jump, and Ron and Angie Stryzinski, all of Greenfield; great-grandparents, Anita Jones, Barbara Jump, and Robert Stryzinski; aunts and uncles, Heather (Brandon) Wells, Amber Stryzinski, Aaron Stryzinski, and Joey Stryzinski, all of Greenfield; cousins, Holton and Layla Wells and Ava Faulkner; and many other family members.

Preceding her in death was her great-grandma, Norma Stryzinski.

Private services will take place at Erlewein Mortuary in Greenfield. Memorial contributions may be made to Chloe’s family to defray funeral expenses, c/o Erlewein Mortuary, 1484 W. U.S. 40, Greenfield, Indiana, 46140. Friends may share a memory or send a condolence at www.erleweinmortuary.com or email condolences to sympathy@erleweinmortuary.com.