Boy was in vehicle for an hour while outside air temperature was over 100

By Edward Jimenez The Fresno Bee

An infant boy left unintentionally in a vehicle for a hour Friday in southwest Fresno when the temperature reached 101 degrees died as a result of the exposure, the Fire Department said Saturday.

The incident happened near Holly and Grove avenues about 5:50 p.m.

A woman bystander performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the 15-month-old before paramedics arrived. But the child died as a result of the heat exposure.

Police said there were numerous children in the vehicle, including a 2-week-old newborn. The family got out of the car with groceries and went into the house, thinking the infant was with the dad, police said.

The mother, who just had C-section surgery, laid down, then woke up trying to find the child. The boy was taken to Community Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Police found no wrongdoing and called it a tragic accident.

The Fire Department reminds parents to never leave their children in a vehicle when it is hot outside, even for a short time. The same rule applies to pet owners.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/06/08/3334500/baby-dies-in-fresno-after-being.html#storylink=cpy